- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cut squash in half lengthwise.
- Place the squash halves, cut sides down, on plastic wrap in microwave. Cook on HIGH 10 minutes or until cooked through. Scoop flesh into medium bowl, stir until smooth, and set aside.
- Microwave rice according to package directions, omitting butter.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add rice.
- Alternately stir in squash and broth, 1/2 cup at a time ...