- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 pound ground bison or lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup very thinly sliced iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water.
- Place bison, 1 can drained chiles, 1/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the burgers, turning once, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Top each burger with an equal portion of the remaining green chiles and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute more.
- Drain the onion. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with onion and shredded lettuce.
Sourced from eatingwell.com